Crowd Boos As Yoan Pablo Hernandez Wins Questionable Decision Over Troy Ross
- September 15th, 2012
by Johnny Walker
IBF cruiserweight champion Yoan Pablo Hernandez (27-1, 13 KOs) won a controversial unanimous decision today over tough Canadian challenger Troy Ross (25-3, 16 KOs) at the Stechert Arena, in Bayern, Germany.
The fight featured terrific back-and-forth action, with both men teeing off on each other early. Toronto’s Ross, however, was landing the harder, more telling blows, and in round five he knocked Hernandez down early and had him in big trouble. Thanks to some interference being run by the referee, however, Hernandez was able to survive the round.
Both men appeared to be nearly out on their feet during periodic wicked exchanges for the rest of the fight, but again it was Ross who seemed to be getting in the more damaging shots, with Hernandez appearing to be wobbly and spaghetti-legged many times.
But Ross’s inability to put Hernandez away ended up costing him in the Cuban-born champion’s adopted home of Germany.
The judges scored the fight 114-113, 115-112, and 116-112, the last two scores being particularly egregious.
The German crowd, which had been on the side of Hernandez at the start of the fight, booed the decision and warmly applauded the Canadian as he saluted them in return.
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- UFC 160 Preview: Cain Velasquez vs. Antonio Silva, Dos Santos vs. Hunt
- HBO Boxing Preview: Carl Froch vs. Mikkel Kessler
- Former World Title Challengers Delvin Rodriguez and Freddy Hernandez Battle On FNF
- Antonio Margarito Wants to Make Boxing Return
- Mikkel Kessler Ready For Super-Middleweight Unification Bout With Carl Froch Saturday Night
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Andre Berto, James DeGale, David Price, Jones vs. Lebedev, more
- Lucas Matthysse Touted as “New Pacquiao,” But Also Targets “Real Pacquiao”
- Carl Froch Calls Fellow Brits Disloyal For Sparring with Kessler
- Bernard Hopkins Vs. Karo Murat Set For July 13 At Barclays Center
- Sugar Shane Mosley Wins First Fight In 4 Years, Thompson Stops Sandoval
- Jackie Kallen: Boxing Fights I want to See in 2013
- Carl Froch: “You give me a ring – and I’ll make you famous”
- Tell Networks: Lucas Matthysse Perfect Opponent for Mike Alvarado
- Ken Shamrock Thinks Boxing Is Delivering The Fights Fans Want To See, Except Mayweather
- Jackie Kallen: Alexander/Purdy, Peterson/Matthysse – Big Fight Weekend in AC!
- Clowns in Suits Wreck Boxing with Business Warfare
- Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios from Macau — Will Fans Buy It?
- Floyd Mayweather Milks the Cash Cow
- Jackie Kallen: Is “The Hurricane” Ana Julation the female Pacquaio?
- Floyd Mayweather, A Cobra on Hapless Robert Guerrero’s Jungle Trail