Chavez 158, Martinez 159: Atmosphere Tense At Weigh-In
- September 14th, 2012
by Johnny Walker
WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. surprised onlookers by weighing in today one pound lighter than challenger Sergio Martinez during a tense meeting at the Thomas and Mack Center in Las Vegas.
Martinez weighed in first, coming in at 159 pounds. The Argentinian veteran seemed extremely jacked up, posturing in bodybuilder poses to show off his rippling physique for the admiring Argentinian fans in attendance.
Chavez then stepped on the scales, considerably more subdued than Martinez as he weighed in a pound lighter at a solid 158. The two men then posed for the traditional stare-down, and again it was Martinez who was the aggressor, yapping in Junior’s face and pulling theatrical faces.
Finally, the fighters were separated, as it appeared things could become physical at any moment.
Afterwards, HBO’s Max Kellerman asked Martinez what he said to Chavez.
“I said, ‘Tomorrow’s gonna be a war because *I* want the war,’” Martinez explained.
“I’m gonna punish him, I’m gonna hit him — it feeds me.”
After being cheered by the Argentinian fans, an emotional Martinez said, “I will give my life to win,” for Argentina.
Chavez explained to Kellerman that, “I told [Martinez] I was gonna be here tomorrow. He said he was gonna rip my head off.”
On the surprising fact that he weighed in lighter than Martinez, Chavez was coy: “I worked hard on my diet and I’m better than ever,” he said.
“Tomorrow I’m gonna be the best middleweight champion in the world.”
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Arum Likes Floyd Jr. in Bout with Canelo, and – No Surprise – So Does Floyd Sr.
- Andre Ward is Offered Possibility of Two-Fight Deal with Stevenson
- In Light of Cancellation, Speculation About Stevenson as Possible Bernard Hopkins Foe
- HBO Boxing Results: Mikey Garcia and Terence Crawford Score Stoppage Victories
- UFC 161 Results: Rashad Evans Defeats Dan Henderson
- Funny Media Interview with Paul Malignaggi & Adrien Broner
- ESPN FNF Results: Vicente Drops Diaz, Payano Devastates Maraon
- NBC Sports Network Boxing Results: Jennings and Kovalev Continue to Impress
- UFC 161 Preview: Dan Henderson vs. Rashad Evans
- Undefeated Bantamweights Battle On FNF In WBA Title Eliminator
- Quick-Tongued Adrien Broner Set for Test against Paulie Malignaggi
- Jackie Kallen: Is Mikey Garcia The Real Deal?
- Jim Gray Wonders Why Referee Stopped Fight — Josesito Lopez Was Still Breathing
- Jackie Kallen: LA vs Montreal, HBO vs Showtime, Dawson vs Stevenson, Maidana vs Lopez
- Is it fair for Floyd Mayweather to fight Saul Alvarez at a catch weight?
- Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao — a Fight They Don’t Want Us to Want
- Jackie Kallen: Mayweather vs Canelo – Dream Fight At Last!
- Richest Fight Ever Set for Sept. 14 — Floyd Mayweather-Canelo Alvarez
- Mad Dog Carl Froch No Ordinary Englishman
- Jackie Kallen: Boxing Fights I want to See in 2013