Antonio Tarver Dumped From Showtime Broadcast; Calls Positive Drug Test a “False Positive” and an “Honest Mistake”
- June 22nd, 2012
IBO cruiserweight champion Antonio “Magic Man” Tarver has taken to Twitter to maintain his innocence in the matter of a positive drug test.
Testing results from Tarver’s June 2 split decision draw with Lateef Kayode showed that the Magic Man tested positive for drostanolone, an anabolic steroid.
“Today’s news of a false positive caught me as well as my family and supporters by surprise, I apologize for the embarrassment it caused,” tweets Tarver.
“I’ll appeal and submit to the California Commission everything that I’ve consume prior to June 2 that could of caused this honest mistake.”
The California State Athletic Commission has suspended Tarver and also fined him $2500. Tarver earned $1.1 million for his fight with Kayode, the result of which will be changed from a draw to a no-decision.
Tarver was scheduled to resume his analytic duties for the Showtime network during Saturday’s Victor Ortiz versus Josesito Lopez fight broadcast. However, a spokesperson for the network stated the following late Friday night:
“We were made aware of the California State Athletic Commission’s report regarding Antonio Tarver’s positive drug test following his last fight on June 2 this afternoon. Out of respect for the fighters competing on Saturday night, Antonio and the network have mutually agreed that he will not serve as color analyst for the June 23rd boxing telecast.”
Tarver also recently announced that he has been chosen to be the boxing analyst for the 2012 Olympics.
©2014 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Showtime Boxing Results: Hopkins Dominates Shumenov, Quillin and Porter Victorious
- Shobox Boxing Results: Salka Upsets Collado!
- ESPN Boxcino Tournament Results: Monroe and Adams Win to Advance to Finals
- Showtime Boxing Preview: Bernard Hopkins vs. Shumenov, Quillin vs Konecny, Porter vs. Malignaggi
- Oscar De La Hoya Steals The Show During Marcos Maidana’s Media Conference Call
- Peter Quillin Interview: Fighting for Cuban Pride and Respect – Part 2
- King Sports – Debut Boxing Card Results from Santa Monica
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Canelo, Lara, Provodnikov, Hopkins, and more
- Interview with Peter “Kid Chocolate” Quillin – aiming to be Legendary
- PPV Round by Round Results: Manny Pacquiao Wins A Thriller In A Close Fight
- Was That Shawn Porter…Or Jack Dempsey?
- Floyd Mayweather Set to Summon Favored Reporters for New Media Blitz
- Guess What, Guys? It’s Okay To Fight On Cable
- Can We Please Cool It With The PPV Undercards?
- Showtime Boxing Triple-Header: History, High Stakes, and Chocolate
- In Praise Of Floyd Mayweather
- Apologies for Doubting Manny Pacquiao – Now Let’s Beat Mayweather
- Pacquiao – Bradley 2: The End Of An Illusion
- Why Pacquiao-Bradley Is A Far Better Matchup Than Mayweather-Maidana
- 5 Reasons Why Tim Bradley Will Beat Manny Pacquiao