Antonio Tarver Dumped From Showtime Broadcast; Calls Positive Drug Test a “False Positive” and an “Honest Mistake”
- June 22nd, 2012
IBO cruiserweight champion Antonio “Magic Man” Tarver has taken to Twitter to maintain his innocence in the matter of a positive drug test.
Testing results from Tarver’s June 2 split decision draw with Lateef Kayode showed that the Magic Man tested positive for drostanolone, an anabolic steroid.
“Today’s news of a false positive caught me as well as my family and supporters by surprise, I apologize for the embarrassment it caused,” tweets Tarver.
“I’ll appeal and submit to the California Commission everything that I’ve consume prior to June 2 that could of caused this honest mistake.”
The California State Athletic Commission has suspended Tarver and also fined him $2500. Tarver earned $1.1 million for his fight with Kayode, the result of which will be changed from a draw to a no-decision.
Tarver was scheduled to resume his analytic duties for the Showtime network during Saturday’s Victor Ortiz versus Josesito Lopez fight broadcast. However, a spokesperson for the network stated the following late Friday night:
“We were made aware of the California State Athletic Commission’s report regarding Antonio Tarver’s positive drug test following his last fight on June 2 this afternoon. Out of respect for the fighters competing on Saturday night, Antonio and the network have mutually agreed that he will not serve as color analyst for the June 23rd boxing telecast.”
Tarver also recently announced that he has been chosen to be the boxing analyst for the 2012 Olympics.
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- HBO Boxing Preview: Carl Froch vs. Mikkel Kessler
- Former World Title Challengers Delvin Rodriguez and Freddy Hernandez Battle On FNF
- Antonio Margarito Wants to Make Boxing Return
- Mikkel Kessler Ready For Super-Middleweight Unification Bout With Carl Froch Saturday Night
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Andre Berto, James DeGale, David Price, Jones vs. Lebedev, more
- Lucas Matthysse Touted as “New Pacquiao,” But Also Targets “Real Pacquiao”
- Carl Froch Calls Fellow Brits Disloyal For Sparring with Kessler
- Bernard Hopkins Vs. Karo Murat Set For July 13 At Barclays Center
- Sugar Shane Mosley Wins First Fight In 4 Years, Thompson Stops Sandoval
- UFC on FX Results: Vitor Belfort Delivers Highlight Reel KO over Luke Rockhold in Brazil
- Jackie Kallen: Boxing Fights I want to See in 2013
- Carl Froch: “You give me a ring – and I’ll make you famous”
- Tell Networks: Lucas Matthysse Perfect Opponent for Mike Alvarado
- Ken Shamrock Thinks Boxing Is Delivering The Fights Fans Want To See, Except Mayweather
- Jackie Kallen: Alexander/Purdy, Peterson/Matthysse – Big Fight Weekend in AC!
- Clowns in Suits Wreck Boxing with Business Warfare
- Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios from Macau — Will Fans Buy It?
- Floyd Mayweather Milks the Cash Cow
- Jackie Kallen: Is “The Hurricane” Ana Julation the female Pacquaio?
- Floyd Mayweather, A Cobra on Hapless Robert Guerrero’s Jungle Trail