Antonio Tarver Dumped From Showtime Broadcast; Calls Positive Drug Test a “False Positive” and an “Honest Mistake”
- June 22nd, 2012
IBO cruiserweight champion Antonio “Magic Man” Tarver has taken to Twitter to maintain his innocence in the matter of a positive drug test.
Testing results from Tarver’s June 2 split decision draw with Lateef Kayode showed that the Magic Man tested positive for drostanolone, an anabolic steroid.
“Today’s news of a false positive caught me as well as my family and supporters by surprise, I apologize for the embarrassment it caused,” tweets Tarver.
“I’ll appeal and submit to the California Commission everything that I’ve consume prior to June 2 that could of caused this honest mistake.”
The California State Athletic Commission has suspended Tarver and also fined him $2500. Tarver earned $1.1 million for his fight with Kayode, the result of which will be changed from a draw to a no-decision.
Tarver was scheduled to resume his analytic duties for the Showtime network during Saturday’s Victor Ortiz versus Josesito Lopez fight broadcast. However, a spokesperson for the network stated the following late Friday night:
“We were made aware of the California State Athletic Commission’s report regarding Antonio Tarver’s positive drug test following his last fight on June 2 this afternoon. Out of respect for the fighters competing on Saturday night, Antonio and the network have mutually agreed that he will not serve as color analyst for the June 23rd boxing telecast.”
Tarver also recently announced that he has been chosen to be the boxing analyst for the 2012 Olympics.
©2014 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Rock Steady: Battling Parkinson’s Disease At Gleason’s Gym
- Showtime PPV Results: Canelo Gives Angulo a Beat down in All Mexican Affaire!
- Canelo Dominates Angulo, Almost Saves Pay Per View Card
- ESPN Friday Night Fights Results: Dusty Harrison Remains Undefeated, Morales and Nugaev Win
- Showtime PPV Preview: Canelo vs. Angulo, Santa Cruz vs. Mijares
- Dusty Hernandez Harrison: The Son Also Rises
- Cedric Agnew On Sergey Kovalev: “I Fear No Man.”
- HBO Boxing Results: J.C. Chavez Jr. wins War against Bryan Vera; Lomachenko falls to Salido
- Terence Crawford Topples Ricky Burns in Scotland
- Arthur Abraham Turns Back the Clock and Gets Revenge Against Stieglitz!
- Jackie Kallen: Defending Tony Weeks Canelo/Angulo Stoppage
- Floyd Mayweather Gives The Media A Very Strange “Moment.”
- Rapacious Showtime Demanding $60 for Canelo Alvarez-Alfredo Angulo
- Alfredo “Perro” Angulo: Going against the Vegas Chalk and Picking Angulo to Win
- Is Canelo Alvarez an A-List Boxer – Or Just An A-List Celebrity?
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Alfredo Angulo by the Numbers
- The Top Boxing Fights That Need to Be Made From Matchmaker Ron Katz
- Jackie Kallen: Canelo/Angulo Undercard: Watch for Jermall Charlo
- Canelo Alvarez Likely to Dominate Alfredo Angulo, Who Leads with His Face
- Leo Santa Cruz Broadens His Horizons