Andre Berto’s Carma Foundation to Host Holiday Gala and Scholarship Fundraiser
- December 7th, 2009
(WINTER HAVEN, FLA.) – Andre Berto and the Carma Foundation will hold the first-ever Jingle Bell Ball, on Sunday, December 13, benefitting the organization’s philanthropic efforts in Haiti. The event will pay tribute to The Wire’s Jaime Hector, attorney/activist Sanford Rubenstein, and humanitarian Leslie Sosnowski for their outstanding international charitable work.
Berto is currently in training camp for his January 30th fight with “Sugar” Shane Mosley, and therefore unable to attend the event in person. However, he has donated tickets to his upcoming fight to the event’s silent auction. In addition, Berto’s official apparel sponsor, Everlast, is contributing a product donation to the Jingle Bell Ball in support of the WBC Welterweight World Champion’s philanthropic endeavors.
“I am very proud of my relationship with the Carma Foundation, and I wish I could be there in person, but my focus right now is 100% on January 30th and Shane Mosley,” Berto said. “I wish Melky and the entire Carma Foundation crew a successful event on December 13.”
Berto joined the board of the Carma Foundation in October of 2008, joining forces with founder Melky Jean, sister of music superstar, Wyclef. The two have taken part in extensive outreach to his native Haiti over the past year, including a charitable trip to the island nation with his family in March to deliver aide to the country’s needy citizens.
The Jingle Bell Ball will take place at 7 p.m. at the Travertine New York, and is an invitation-only, black-tie affair. All of the proceeds from the event will benefit the Carma Foundation and the Carma Scholarship Fund.
Berto is currently entering the third week of his training camp in Winter Haven, Fla., in preparation for his match-up with Mosley. Photos of week two of Andre Berto’s training camp are available at:
Andre Berto is the World Boxing Council Welterweight World Champion and maintains a perfect 25-0 record as a professional. An accomplished amateur with numerous national titles, Berto represented Haiti in the 2004 Olympic Games. Outside of the ring, he champions the cause of Haitian citizens as a Board Member of the Carma Foundation, an organization founded by Melky Jean to improve the health and living conditions of poor and vulnerable women in Haiti.
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- David Price Drops British and Commonwealth Titles; Dereck Chisora Calls Out Deontay Wilder
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Chisora, Barker vs. Sturm, Pacquiao, Mansour, and more…
- Monte Barrett Rips David Tua’s Promoters: “They Stole From Him, Destroyed His Career!”
- WBC Champ Vitali Klitschko Reported Turning Back Huge Ukrainian Mob
- Dana White Returns To Boxing With New Reality TV Show “The Fighters”
- HBO Boxing Results: Stevenson and Kovalev Win by Knockout, Again…..
- Another Bizarre Stoppage in the UK: Chisora Halts Pala
- HBO Boxing Preview: Stevenson vs. Bellew, Kovalev vs. Sillakh
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Pacquiao and Taxes, Judah, Molina, Kovalev, Fortuna, and more…
- Anthony Mundine Defeats Shane Mosley: Is this finally the End?
- Top Rank Will Kiss Off HBO to Get Floyd Mayweather Deal with Manny Pacquiao
- Froch-Groves: Miscellaneous Musings in the Aftermath of a Masterclass
- Jackie Kallen: Mayweather takes his promotion company on the road
- Ex-Lightweight Anthony Fletcher Entombed Live for Want of ‘Hook’
- On Sense and Sensibility Among Boxing’s Critics
- All I want For Christmas Are These Ten Fights: the Best Match-Up’s In Boxing
- It’s Time To Give Boxing Fans What They Want
- Jackie Kallen: Bronco McKart rides on….and on…..
- How Adrien Broner Can Live Up To The Hype
- Sergey Kovalev: Impressed Yet?