Andre Berto’s Carma Foundation to Host Holiday Gala and Scholarship Fundraiser
- December 7th, 2009
(WINTER HAVEN, FLA.) – Andre Berto and the Carma Foundation will hold the first-ever Jingle Bell Ball, on Sunday, December 13, benefitting the organization’s philanthropic efforts in Haiti. The event will pay tribute to The Wire’s Jaime Hector, attorney/activist Sanford Rubenstein, and humanitarian Leslie Sosnowski for their outstanding international charitable work.
Berto is currently in training camp for his January 30th fight with “Sugar” Shane Mosley, and therefore unable to attend the event in person. However, he has donated tickets to his upcoming fight to the event’s silent auction. In addition, Berto’s official apparel sponsor, Everlast, is contributing a product donation to the Jingle Bell Ball in support of the WBC Welterweight World Champion’s philanthropic endeavors.
“I am very proud of my relationship with the Carma Foundation, and I wish I could be there in person, but my focus right now is 100% on January 30th and Shane Mosley,” Berto said. “I wish Melky and the entire Carma Foundation crew a successful event on December 13.”
Berto joined the board of the Carma Foundation in October of 2008, joining forces with founder Melky Jean, sister of music superstar, Wyclef. The two have taken part in extensive outreach to his native Haiti over the past year, including a charitable trip to the island nation with his family in March to deliver aide to the country’s needy citizens.
The Jingle Bell Ball will take place at 7 p.m. at the Travertine New York, and is an invitation-only, black-tie affair. All of the proceeds from the event will benefit the Carma Foundation and the Carma Scholarship Fund.
Berto is currently entering the third week of his training camp in Winter Haven, Fla., in preparation for his match-up with Mosley. Photos of week two of Andre Berto’s training camp are available at:
Andre Berto is the World Boxing Council Welterweight World Champion and maintains a perfect 25-0 record as a professional. An accomplished amateur with numerous national titles, Berto represented Haiti in the 2004 Olympic Games. Outside of the ring, he champions the cause of Haitian citizens as a Board Member of the Carma Foundation, an organization founded by Melky Jean to improve the health and living conditions of poor and vulnerable women in Haiti.
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- HBO Boxing Preview: Carl Froch vs. Mikkel Kessler
- Former World Title Challengers Delvin Rodriguez and Freddy Hernandez Battle On FNF
- Antonio Margarito Wants to Make Boxing Return
- Mikkel Kessler Ready For Super-Middleweight Unification Bout With Carl Froch Saturday Night
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Andre Berto, James DeGale, David Price, Jones vs. Lebedev, more
- Lucas Matthysse Touted as “New Pacquiao,” But Also Targets “Real Pacquiao”
- Carl Froch Calls Fellow Brits Disloyal For Sparring with Kessler
- Bernard Hopkins Vs. Karo Murat Set For July 13 At Barclays Center
- Sugar Shane Mosley Wins First Fight In 4 Years, Thompson Stops Sandoval
- UFC on FX Results: Vitor Belfort Delivers Highlight Reel KO over Luke Rockhold in Brazil
- Jackie Kallen: Boxing Fights I want to See in 2013
- Carl Froch: “You give me a ring – and I’ll make you famous”
- Tell Networks: Lucas Matthysse Perfect Opponent for Mike Alvarado
- Ken Shamrock Thinks Boxing Is Delivering The Fights Fans Want To See, Except Mayweather
- Jackie Kallen: Alexander/Purdy, Peterson/Matthysse – Big Fight Weekend in AC!
- Clowns in Suits Wreck Boxing with Business Warfare
- Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios from Macau — Will Fans Buy It?
- Floyd Mayweather Milks the Cash Cow
- Jackie Kallen: Is “The Hurricane” Ana Julation the female Pacquaio?
- Floyd Mayweather, A Cobra on Hapless Robert Guerrero’s Jungle Trail