Amir Khan vs. Devon Alexander closing in on a deal for December 7th
- June 4th, 2013
By Chris Carlson
Now that the Floyd “Money” Mayweather vs. Saul “Canelo” Alvarez fight is signed, the rest of domino’s can fall into place for Golden Boy Promotions. The fall/winter schedule is heating up with fights like Lucas Matthysse vs. Danny Garcia, which is tentatively scheduled for September 7th serving as the lead in event to the Mayweather vs Canelo Blockbuster Showtime PPV. Last week Golden Boy won the purse bid for the Leo Santa Cruz vs. Victor Terrazas fight for Terrazas WBC Super Batamweight Strap. Another fight that has been widely discussed is Amir Khan vs. Devon Alexander for Alexander’s IBF Welterweight Title, both of whom have been mentioned as future opponents for Floyd Mayweather.
From all accounts, including the C.E.O. of Golden Boy Promotions Richard Schaefer, the negotiations between Khan and Alexander is all but done. And it seems that Amir Khan is being groomed once again to become Floyd Mayweather’s next foe. Recently Schaefer told dailymail.co.uk “Amir needs one fight at welterweight along with a title to set up the match with Floyd… [Alexander] has agreed to the fight. We will be finalizing and signing the contract in the next couple of weeks…if he defeats Devon…the next step for him would be against Floyd.”
Adding some spice to the story is the possibility of the fight landing in Dubai. Schaefer was quoted by the Daily Mail saying, “we have opened discussions with the ruling family of the Emirates who have made it very clear that they are keen to put on a major boxing event. This is very exciting for Amir and all of us. If he defeats Devon, preferably in style, the next step for him would be against Floyd.” Many fights have been rumored to land in Dubai in the last few years the biggest one was Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao. With the money and popularity that Kahn brings to the table he has always been in the picture to land a fight with Mayweather. Surly Devon Alexander has something to say about these plans. He could be yet another roadblock to Amir Khan in his ongoing dream to secure a fight with the PPV King.
Rope A Dope Radio at www.blogtalkradio.com/ropeadoperadio
©2014 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Showtime Boxing Results: Hopkins Dominates Shumenov, Quillin and Porter Victorious
- Shobox Boxing Results: Salka Upsets Collado!
- ESPN Boxcino Tournament Results: Monroe and Adams Win to Advance to Finals
- Showtime Boxing Preview: Bernard Hopkins vs. Shumenov, Quillin vs Konecny, Porter vs. Malignaggi
- Oscar De La Hoya Steals The Show During Marcos Maidana’s Media Conference Call
- Peter Quillin Interview: Fighting for Cuban Pride and Respect – Part 2
- King Sports – Debut Boxing Card Results from Santa Monica
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Canelo, Lara, Provodnikov, Hopkins, and more
- Interview with Peter “Kid Chocolate” Quillin – aiming to be Legendary
- PPV Round by Round Results: Manny Pacquiao Wins A Thriller In A Close Fight
- Was That Shawn Porter…Or Jack Dempsey?
- Floyd Mayweather Set to Summon Favored Reporters for New Media Blitz
- Guess What, Guys? It’s Okay To Fight On Cable
- Can We Please Cool It With The PPV Undercards?
- Showtime Boxing Triple-Header: History, High Stakes, and Chocolate
- In Praise Of Floyd Mayweather
- Apologies for Doubting Manny Pacquiao – Now Let’s Beat Mayweather
- Pacquiao – Bradley 2: The End Of An Illusion
- Why Pacquiao-Bradley Is A Far Better Matchup Than Mayweather-Maidana
- 5 Reasons Why Tim Bradley Will Beat Manny Pacquiao