8 Man Heavyweight Tournament Announced By Frank Maloney
- September 13th, 2011
FRANK MALONEY and Fighters Inc are launching a dynamic new boxing tournament for novice heavyweights.
The eight-man competition will begin later this year with the grand final being held at London’s ExCel on 2nd June 2012 at the prestigious Seni Show/BoxFair.
Maloney and Fighters Inc chief Joe Long have been working on the exciting competition for several months and believe they will discover Britain’s next great heavyweight over the coming months.
Maloney found Britain’s first world heavyweight champion for more than 100 years in Lennox Lewis and the search is on again.
The fighters will be drawn into two groups of four and compete against each rival in their division over four action packed rounds.
The first matches will take place in November, round two is being held in January and the last group encounters are next March.
The winners of each division will meet in a big money final and the victor crowned ‘HW Factor Champion 2012’.
He will also be handed a lucrative three-year promotional deal with Maloney and take the first steps towards fame and fortune.
The runners-up in each group will also meet on finals night when Maloney and Fighters Inc will stage a gala night of heavyweight boxing at the Excel.
Everybody attending the final will enter a draw to win two tickets for the finals of the 2012 Olympics.
Maloney said: “Joe and myself have been working on a concept that will freshen up boxing and give novice fighters the chance to earn some recognition.
“It will be a fan friendly tournament with a points system and cash bonuses encouraging boxers to go for knockouts and stoppages.”
Long added: “This is the sort of competition will earn boxing recognition and get fans and fighters talking.
“It will be vibrant and energetic from the first bell in November to the winners’ hand being raised at next summer.”
Maloney and Long will advertise for boxers wishing to enter the fast and furious tournament on forums and trade papers during the next few weeks.
To qualify, potential entrants must have had five or less professional contests or be someone wishing to turn professional.
The great eight will be selected by Maloney, Long and their experienced teams and then invited to sign up.
The divisional draws and order of fights will be made at a press conference two weeks before the opening night.
It is hoped London’s Mermaid Theatre will host the early stages of the competition, although this is still to be confirmed.
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Arum Likes Floyd Jr. in Bout with Canelo, and – No Surprise – So Does Floyd Sr.
- Andre Ward is Offered Possibility of Two-Fight Deal with Stevenson
- In Light of Cancellation, Speculation About Stevenson as Possible Bernard Hopkins Foe
- HBO Boxing Results: Mikey Garcia and Terence Crawford Score Stoppage Victories
- UFC 161 Results: Rashad Evans Defeats Dan Henderson
- Funny Media Interview with Paul Malignaggi & Adrien Broner
- ESPN FNF Results: Vicente Drops Diaz, Payano Devastates Maraon
- NBC Sports Network Boxing Results: Jennings and Kovalev Continue to Impress
- UFC 161 Preview: Dan Henderson vs. Rashad Evans
- Undefeated Bantamweights Battle On FNF In WBA Title Eliminator
- Quick-Tongued Adrien Broner Set for Test against Paulie Malignaggi
- Jackie Kallen: Is Mikey Garcia The Real Deal?
- Jim Gray Wonders Why Referee Stopped Fight — Josesito Lopez Was Still Breathing
- Jackie Kallen: LA vs Montreal, HBO vs Showtime, Dawson vs Stevenson, Maidana vs Lopez
- Is it fair for Floyd Mayweather to fight Saul Alvarez at a catch weight?
- Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao — a Fight They Don’t Want Us to Want
- Jackie Kallen: Mayweather vs Canelo – Dream Fight At Last!
- Richest Fight Ever Set for Sept. 14 — Floyd Mayweather-Canelo Alvarez
- Mad Dog Carl Froch No Ordinary Englishman
- Jackie Kallen: Boxing Fights I want to See in 2013