Olympic Boxing Bantamweight Results: Joesph Diaz, John Joe Nevin Advance
- July 28th, 2012
by Charles Jay
Joseph Diaz Jr., known to many American boxing audiences as “Jo-Jo,” reached the Round of 16 in the Olympic boxing competition at the ExCel South Arena in London.
Diaz, fighting the first bout of the Games, dazzled Pavlo Ischchenko of the Ukraine by beating him to the punch consistently and dominated the third round of the bout in particular. He won a 19-9 decision on the judges’ cards.
Diaz said he studied his opponent on YouTube after the draw to have a good idea about who he was fighting. As he told reporters, “I just realised this guy is human just like me, he sweats, he bleeds and he’s nervous just like me so I’ve got to do what I do, and I ended up pulling the ‘W’ (win).”
Diaz now has to go up against top seed Lazaro Alvarez Estrada of Cuba, the defending world champion, in the next round of competition.
John Joe Nevin of Ireland also advanced rather easily, defeating Dennis Ceylan of Denmark 21-6. Nevin, who is ranked #4 in the world by AIBA, is the highest-rated boxer in the weight class who did not get a first-round bye.
Nevin, who suffered a broken jaw earlier in the year, prompting some people to wonder whether he would be rusty for the Games, was dazzling in his movement and even began to showboat in the last round. He’ll face Kanat Abutalipov in the next round of competition.
Also, Sergey Vodopiyanov of Russia won a 12-5 decision over Alberto Ezequiel Melian of Argentina, while Orzubek Shaymov of Uzbekistan, ranked #18 in the world, easily defeated Robenilson Vieira de Jesus of Brazil 13-7. Kanat Abutalipov of Kazakhstan won a 15-7 decision over Syria’s Wessam Slamana, and Oscar Valdez Fierro of Mexico was much busier in the first and third rounds in beating India’s Shiva Thapa 14-9.
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Antonio Margarito Wants to Make Boxing Return
- Mikkel Kessler Ready For Super-Middleweight Unification Bout With Carl Froch Saturday Night
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Andre Berto, James DeGale, David Price, Jones vs. Lebedev, more
- Lucas Matthysse Touted as “New Pacquiao,” But Also Targets “Real Pacquiao”
- Carl Froch Calls Fellow Brits Disloyal For Sparring with Kessler
- Bernard Hopkins Vs. Karo Murat Set For July 13 At Barclays Center
- Sugar Shane Mosley Wins First Fight In 4 Years, Thompson Stops Sandoval
- UFC on FX Results: Vitor Belfort Delivers Highlight Reel KO over Luke Rockhold in Brazil
- Showtime Boxing Results: Lucas Matthysse Smashes Lamont Peterson, Alexander Defeats Purdy
- Showtime Boxing Undercard Results: Porter Dominates Lo Greco, Favorites Sweep
- Jackie Kallen: Boxing Fights I want to See in 2013
- Carl Froch: “You give me a ring – and I’ll make you famous”
- Tell Networks: Lucas Matthysse Perfect Opponent for Mike Alvarado
- Ken Shamrock Thinks Boxing Is Delivering The Fights Fans Want To See, Except Mayweather
- Jackie Kallen: Alexander/Purdy, Peterson/Matthysse – Big Fight Weekend in AC!
- Clowns in Suits Wreck Boxing with Business Warfare
- Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios from Macau — Will Fans Buy It?
- Floyd Mayweather Milks the Cash Cow
- Jackie Kallen: Is “The Hurricane” Ana Julation the female Pacquaio?
- Floyd Mayweather, A Cobra on Hapless Robert Guerrero’s Jungle Trail