Philip H. Anselmo on Nonito Donaire’s Deadly Left Hook
- December 6th, 2010
Philip H. Anselmo is best known as a world-renowned musician and lead vocalist for super group’s like Pantera and Down, but he is also a boxing historian, expert and strategist. So respected is Anselmo for his pugilistic acumen that he is often consulted by the team of one of the best world champions in the sport today, Wladimir Klitschko, about his tactical opinions and ideas.
Anselmo has studied and trained boxing for many years, even hiring a boxing coach to travel with him on Pantera world tours, so he could work on his skills and knowledge while globetrotting.
One of Anselmo’s favorite punches is the left hook and the New Orleans-based recording artist had some high praise for the left hand work by Nonito Donaire this past weekend.
“Donaire has an EXCELLENT left hook, but he doesn’t use it as a lead punch like Felix,” said Anselmo on Monday night. “Felix (Trinidad)’s left hook came out like liquid out of a glass… smooth and with devastating power… whoever was on the receiving end of that got wet! No one’s left hook is better than Tito’s. No one. Donaire is a very, very good fighter who needs to stay motivated with bigger fights.”
Donaire improved to 25-1 with 17 KO’s with his fourth-round KO over Wladimir Sidorenko. Anselmo and the members of Pantera recently re-released their hugely popular 1990 “Cowboys From Hell” album.
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Sugar Shane Mosley Wins First Fight In 4 Years, Thompson Stops Sandoval
- UFC on FX Results: Vitor Belfort Delivers Highlight Reel KO over Luke Rockhold in Brazil
- Showtime Boxing Results: Lucas Matthysse Smashes Lamont Peterson, Alexander Defeats Purdy
- Showtime Boxing Undercard Results: Porter Dominates Lo Greco, Favorites Sweep
- Dozens Of Boxing Legends Return to Resorts June 1 including Mike Tyson
- Alexander Povetkin Finishes Wawrzyk In 3, Will Meet Klitschko October 5
- UFC on FX Preview: Vitor Belfort vs. Luke Rockhold
- Showtime Boxing Preview: Peterson vs. Matthysse, Alexander vs. Purdy
- Welterweight Prospect Pablo Cesar Cano Battles Former Champion Shane Mosley Saturday Night
- IBF Champion Peterson Meets Matthysse Saturday Night In Light Welterweight Showdown
- Tell Networks: Lucas Matthysse Perfect Opponent for Mike Alvarado
- Ken Shamrock Thinks Boxing Is Delivering The Fights Fans Want To See, Except Mayweather
- Jackie Kallen: Alexander/Purdy, Peterson/Matthysse – Big Fight Weekend in AC!
- Clowns in Suits Wreck Boxing with Business Warfare
- Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios from Macau — Will Fans Buy It?
- Floyd Mayweather Milks the Cash Cow
- Jackie Kallen: Is “The Hurricane” Ana Julation the female Pacquaio?
- Floyd Mayweather, A Cobra on Hapless Robert Guerrero’s Jungle Trail
- Jackie Kallen: Live Report Mayweather/ Guerrero was a Ho Hum Night
- Robert Guerrero’s Father Seeks to Make Floyd Mayweather Bout Personal