Manny Pacquiao and Parkinsons? The Only Opinion that Matters
- January 9th, 2013
By: William Holmes
Sports writers are like a pack of hungry wolves.
At the first sniff of reportable news, we all rush to our laptops to announce the big news that will increase our number of views . Purely speculative opinion based articles can attract a horde of commentators to criticize you or praise you.
But sometimes a writer’s opinion on matters does not matter, and should not matter.
Dr. Rustico Jimenez, a neurologist and the president of the Private Hospitals Association of the Philippines, has recently publically stated Pacquiao may have preliminary twitches that could be a sign of the early stages of Parkinsons disease. (Source: http://www.worldboxingnews.net/2013/01/manny-pacquiao-reacts-to-parkinsons.html)
Of course, Dr. Jimenez is not Pacquiao’s doctor and has never physically examined him.
Pacquiao has already responded and stated that he feels great, and his advisor Michael Koncz has threatened to sue Dr. Jimenez.
Koncz stated, “Tell me how can one make such allegations based on mere speculation as I am not aware that this alleged doctor ever examined Manny yet he makes such a diagnosis” adding “it’s amazing what people will do to get media coverage. Anyway I am done responding to this ludicrous diagnosis and we shall quietly enjoy our remaining time in Israel.” (http://philboxing.com/news/story-79275.html)
Koncz is right. Pacquiao’s health diagnosis is known to Pacquiao and a few select people. No doctor should ethically diagnosis him as having Parkinsons unless they have physically examined him. And no doctor who has examined Pacquiao should public release his diagnosis without his permission.
Of course, this doctor’s opinion has unleashed a multitude of articles on the internet about Pacquiao’s health and whether or not he should continue his career. These writers should not be given any more “clicks” or “views” than they already receive, but many are floating around on the internet. (http://www.examiner.com/article/pinoy-doctors-may-be-early-but-not-wrong-warning-of-manny-pacquiao-brain-damage)
Even Jose Sulaiman, who’s irrelevant opinion somehow manages to snake it’s way into the news, has stated that “No one could withstand such a powerful punch, right on the button, and that is worrying.” Somehow Sulaiman is aware of the physical limits of the human body, and more specifically, the limits of Manny Pacquiao. (http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/01/06/13/wbc-president-worried-about-pacquiao?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter)
Of course such a diagnosis would not be surprising. It still gets overlooked that Pacquiao rarely weighs above 149 on the night of fights. This is a sport where competitors often put on 15+ pounds from the night of the weigh in to the night of the fight.
We’re talking about someone who could probably make the lightweight limit and has been taking punches from naturally bigger fighters for a majority of his career.
But Pacquiao has seen the ravages of Parkinsons that his trainer Freddie Roach is afflicted with. He is aware of the dangers he faces every time he steps into the ring.
The only person who should announce on whether Pacquiao has Parkinsons or not is…..Manny Pacquiao.
A doctor who has not physically examined Manny Pacquiao should not publically diagnosis him. And no writer should tell Manny to retire from the sport based on the opinion of a doctor who did not examine him.
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Pacquiao, Ricky Hatton, 50 Cent, and more….
- The King of the Borough: Malignaggi Gives Judah a Boxing Clinic
- HBO Results: Kirkland and Tapia Steal Show, Rigondeaux Wins a Bore
- Floyd Mayweather’s TMT Crew Takes Care of Business on ShoBox
- HBO Boxing Preview: Rigondeaux vs. Agbeko, Tapia vs. Kirkland, Macklin vs. Russ
- David Price Drops British and Commonwealth Titles; Dereck Chisora Calls Out Deontay Wilder
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Chisora, Barker vs. Sturm, Pacquiao, Mansour, and more…
- Monte Barrett Rips David Tua’s Promoters: “They Stole From Him, Destroyed His Career!”
- WBC Champ Vitali Klitschko Reported Turning Back Huge Ukrainian Mob
- Dana White Returns To Boxing With New Reality TV Show “The Fighters”
- Detroits Boxing Scene on the Upswing
- Floyd Mayweather Jnr and Manny Pacquaio: The Web of Spin
- Must We Disdain Excitement & Rally to Snore-Mongering Guillermo Rigondeaux?
- WBC Should Sanction an Interim Champion; Vitali Klitschko has Bigger Fights Ahead
- Boxing’s Biggest Battle: HBO vs Showtime
- Adrien Broner and the Anatomy of Creating a Superstar
- Still Think Paulie Malignaggi Is An Old Man?
- Sticking Guillermo Rigondeaux in Main Event Is like Selling Tickets to Smallpox
- Jackie Kallen: Go Paulie (Malignaggi) Go!
- Paulie Malignaggi vs. Zab Judah fight in the Battle for Brooklyn Tonight