Get 2 Know Yuriorkis Gamboa
- January 13th, 2010
Status: WBA Featherweight champion.
Ht: 5-5 Wt: 126
DOB: Dec. 23, 1981 In: Guantanamo, Cuba
First Boxing Memory: “The first steps, when I launched my career in the amateur ranks. When I first started when I was eight-years-old, I said I wanted to be a great champion some day. Not only in the amateurs but in the pros. I had 245 amateur fights with 15 losses.”
Boxing Inspiration: “My desire to become a world champion and make history.”
Nicknames: El Ciclon de Guantanamo (The Cyclone of Guantanamo).
Favorite Boxer Of All-Time: “Candelario Duvje – an amateur fighter in Cuba. Very difficult fighter to touch in the ring. They used to call him ‘The Astro.’ That’s one thing that always stuck in my head and made a big impression on me. That’s what I loved about his game.”
Favorite Movie: “Troy.”
Last Book Read: “The Bible.”
Musical Tastes: “All kinds, everything.”
Pre-Fight Meal: “Pasta.”
Typical Breakfast: “Eggs, milk, some fruit.”
Favorite Ice Cream Flavor: “Vanilla ice cream.”
Greatest Sports Moment: “Becoming a world champion (TKO 10 Jose Rojas in April ’09)”
Most Painful Moment: “In the amateur ranks, as a junior amateur I lost a fight in ’98, a championship fight.”
Whigh Fight Did You Feel At Your Very Best: “In the Olympic finals 2004 at 112 (W3 Jerone Thomas of France). When I won the gold medal.”
Funny Boxing Memory: “[Smiles] Can’t remember one right now.”
If You Weren’t A Boxer What Would You Be: “Something in entertainment. Maybe a singer, maybe a dancer, because I like music. So maybe something like that.”
Toughest Part Of Being A Successful Boxer: “I’d say the training and the part of making weight for my fight would have to be the most difficult part.”
Training Routine: “I go for my morning run then afternoon I go the gym, Top Level Gym in Miami.”
Favorite Fight: “Duvje vs. Luna. Two luminaries in the amateur boxing in Cuba. It was a war between two great champions in Cuba. And both were at the top of their game (’98). Duvje won.”
Last Vacation: “I haven’t had a vacation yet, it’s been all work.”
Favorite Sport Outside Boxing: “Baseball, the Yankees.”
Best Boxer In The Sport: “Pacquiao and Mayweather.”
Interesting Fact: “I sold my Olympic gold medal for $1,500 to pay for my daughter’s first birthday party.”
People Qualities Most Admired: “One that is always helping towards his other neighbors or anyone that’s around him.”
Family: Wife, Dunia; daughter, Brenda.
©2014 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Floyd Mayweather Faces Softball Questions During Media Conference Call
- Boxing Insider Notebook: MGM vs. Top Rank, Donaire, Pacquiao, Pascal, Klitschko, and more
- Floyd Mayweather Media Work Out Quotes
- Chris Arreola: “This Is A Do Or Die Fight For Me.”
- Media Interview with Marcos Maidana & Robert Garcia
- Luis Collazo Will Face Not One, But Two Opponents On May 3
- Rubin “Hurricane” Carter Dead at Age 76
- Showtime Boxing Results: Hopkins Dominates Shumenov, Quillin and Porter Victorious
- Shobox Boxing Results: Salka Upsets Collado!
- ESPN Boxcino Tournament Results: Monroe and Adams Win to Advance to Finals
- Showtime, Borrowing Soviet-Style Tactic, Turns Sergey Kovalev into Non-Person
- Jackie Kallen: Keith Thurman rides again this weekend
- All Access: Why Floyd Loves The Haters
- Was That Shawn Porter…Or Jack Dempsey?
- Floyd Mayweather Set to Summon Favored Reporters for New Media Blitz
- Guess What, Guys? It’s Okay To Fight On Cable
- Can We Please Cool It With The PPV Undercards?
- Showtime Boxing Triple-Header: History, High Stakes, and Chocolate
- In Praise Of Floyd Mayweather
- Apologies for Doubting Manny Pacquiao – Now Let’s Beat Mayweather