Get 2 Know Yuriorkis Gamboa
- January 13th, 2010
Status: WBA Featherweight champion.
Ht: 5-5 Wt: 126
DOB: Dec. 23, 1981 In: Guantanamo, Cuba
First Boxing Memory: “The first steps, when I launched my career in the amateur ranks. When I first started when I was eight-years-old, I said I wanted to be a great champion some day. Not only in the amateurs but in the pros. I had 245 amateur fights with 15 losses.”
Boxing Inspiration: “My desire to become a world champion and make history.”
Nicknames: El Ciclon de Guantanamo (The Cyclone of Guantanamo).
Favorite Boxer Of All-Time: “Candelario Duvje – an amateur fighter in Cuba. Very difficult fighter to touch in the ring. They used to call him ‘The Astro.’ That’s one thing that always stuck in my head and made a big impression on me. That’s what I loved about his game.”
Favorite Movie: “Troy.”
Last Book Read: “The Bible.”
Musical Tastes: “All kinds, everything.”
Pre-Fight Meal: “Pasta.”
Typical Breakfast: “Eggs, milk, some fruit.”
Favorite Ice Cream Flavor: “Vanilla ice cream.”
Greatest Sports Moment: “Becoming a world champion (TKO 10 Jose Rojas in April ’09)”
Most Painful Moment: “In the amateur ranks, as a junior amateur I lost a fight in ’98, a championship fight.”
Whigh Fight Did You Feel At Your Very Best: “In the Olympic finals 2004 at 112 (W3 Jerone Thomas of France). When I won the gold medal.”
Funny Boxing Memory: “[Smiles] Can’t remember one right now.”
If You Weren’t A Boxer What Would You Be: “Something in entertainment. Maybe a singer, maybe a dancer, because I like music. So maybe something like that.”
Toughest Part Of Being A Successful Boxer: “I’d say the training and the part of making weight for my fight would have to be the most difficult part.”
Training Routine: “I go for my morning run then afternoon I go the gym, Top Level Gym in Miami.”
Favorite Fight: “Duvje vs. Luna. Two luminaries in the amateur boxing in Cuba. It was a war between two great champions in Cuba. And both were at the top of their game (’98). Duvje won.”
Last Vacation: “I haven’t had a vacation yet, it’s been all work.”
Favorite Sport Outside Boxing: “Baseball, the Yankees.”
Best Boxer In The Sport: “Pacquiao and Mayweather.”
Interesting Fact: “I sold my Olympic gold medal for $1,500 to pay for my daughter’s first birthday party.”
People Qualities Most Admired: “One that is always helping towards his other neighbors or anyone that’s around him.”
Family: Wife, Dunia; daughter, Brenda.
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- HBO Boxing Preview: Carl Froch vs. Mikkel Kessler
- Former World Title Challengers Delvin Rodriguez and Freddy Hernandez Battle On FNF
- Antonio Margarito Wants to Make Boxing Return
- Mikkel Kessler Ready For Super-Middleweight Unification Bout With Carl Froch Saturday Night
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Andre Berto, James DeGale, David Price, Jones vs. Lebedev, more
- Lucas Matthysse Touted as “New Pacquiao,” But Also Targets “Real Pacquiao”
- Carl Froch Calls Fellow Brits Disloyal For Sparring with Kessler
- Bernard Hopkins Vs. Karo Murat Set For July 13 At Barclays Center
- Sugar Shane Mosley Wins First Fight In 4 Years, Thompson Stops Sandoval
- UFC on FX Results: Vitor Belfort Delivers Highlight Reel KO over Luke Rockhold in Brazil
- Jackie Kallen: Boxing Fights I want to See in 2013
- Carl Froch: “You give me a ring – and I’ll make you famous”
- Tell Networks: Lucas Matthysse Perfect Opponent for Mike Alvarado
- Ken Shamrock Thinks Boxing Is Delivering The Fights Fans Want To See, Except Mayweather
- Jackie Kallen: Alexander/Purdy, Peterson/Matthysse – Big Fight Weekend in AC!
- Clowns in Suits Wreck Boxing with Business Warfare
- Manny Pacquiao-Brandon Rios from Macau — Will Fans Buy It?
- Floyd Mayweather Milks the Cash Cow
- Jackie Kallen: Is “The Hurricane” Ana Julation the female Pacquaio?
- Floyd Mayweather, A Cobra on Hapless Robert Guerrero’s Jungle Trail