Get 2 Know Yuriorkis Gamboa
- January 13th, 2010
Status: WBA Featherweight champion.
Ht: 5-5 Wt: 126
DOB: Dec. 23, 1981 In: Guantanamo, Cuba
First Boxing Memory: “The first steps, when I launched my career in the amateur ranks. When I first started when I was eight-years-old, I said I wanted to be a great champion some day. Not only in the amateurs but in the pros. I had 245 amateur fights with 15 losses.”
Boxing Inspiration: “My desire to become a world champion and make history.”
Nicknames: El Ciclon de Guantanamo (The Cyclone of Guantanamo).
Favorite Boxer Of All-Time: “Candelario Duvje – an amateur fighter in Cuba. Very difficult fighter to touch in the ring. They used to call him ‘The Astro.’ That’s one thing that always stuck in my head and made a big impression on me. That’s what I loved about his game.”
Favorite Movie: “Troy.”
Last Book Read: “The Bible.”
Musical Tastes: “All kinds, everything.”
Pre-Fight Meal: “Pasta.”
Typical Breakfast: “Eggs, milk, some fruit.”
Favorite Ice Cream Flavor: “Vanilla ice cream.”
Greatest Sports Moment: “Becoming a world champion (TKO 10 Jose Rojas in April ’09)”
Most Painful Moment: “In the amateur ranks, as a junior amateur I lost a fight in ’98, a championship fight.”
Whigh Fight Did You Feel At Your Very Best: “In the Olympic finals 2004 at 112 (W3 Jerone Thomas of France). When I won the gold medal.”
Funny Boxing Memory: “[Smiles] Can’t remember one right now.”
If You Weren’t A Boxer What Would You Be: “Something in entertainment. Maybe a singer, maybe a dancer, because I like music. So maybe something like that.”
Toughest Part Of Being A Successful Boxer: “I’d say the training and the part of making weight for my fight would have to be the most difficult part.”
Training Routine: “I go for my morning run then afternoon I go the gym, Top Level Gym in Miami.”
Favorite Fight: “Duvje vs. Luna. Two luminaries in the amateur boxing in Cuba. It was a war between two great champions in Cuba. And both were at the top of their game (’98). Duvje won.”
Last Vacation: “I haven’t had a vacation yet, it’s been all work.”
Favorite Sport Outside Boxing: “Baseball, the Yankees.”
Best Boxer In The Sport: “Pacquiao and Mayweather.”
Interesting Fact: “I sold my Olympic gold medal for $1,500 to pay for my daughter’s first birthday party.”
People Qualities Most Admired: “One that is always helping towards his other neighbors or anyone that’s around him.”
Family: Wife, Dunia; daughter, Brenda.
©2014 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Showtime PPV Preview: Canelo vs. Angulo, Santa Cruz vs. Mijares
- Dusty Hernandez Harrison: The Son Also Rises
- Cedric Agnew On Sergey Kovalev: “I Fear No Man.”
- HBO Boxing Results: J.C. Chavez Jr. wins War against Bryan Vera; Lomachenko falls to Salido
- Terence Crawford Topples Ricky Burns in Scotland
- Arthur Abraham Turns Back the Clock and Gets Revenge Against Stieglitz!
- Shobox Results: J’Leon Love Wins & A Night of Unforeseen Events
- ESPN Friday Night Fights Results: Boxino – Kopylenko, Adams, Gatica, and Monroe Advance
- Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. V. Bryan Vera: Take Two in San Antonio, Texas
- HBO Boxing Preview: Chavez Jr. vs. Vera, Lomachenko vs. Salido
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Alfredo Angulo by the Numbers
- The Top Boxing Fights That Need to Be Made From Matchmaker Ron Katz
- Jackie Kallen: Canelo/Angulo Undercard: Watch for Jermall Charlo
- Canelo Alvarez Likely to Dominate Alfredo Angulo, Who Leads with His Face
- Leo Santa Cruz Broadens His Horizons
- Jackie Kallen: Is Floyd Mayweather vs Adrien Broner Inevitable?
- What’s next for Jean Pascal?
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Alfredo Angulo: the Pop Star vs. the Dog
- It makes sense for Floyd Mayweather choose Marcos Maidana
- Mayweather-Pacquiao: Is It Finally Time To Move On?