- April 17th, 2008
Status: Former welterweight, super welterweight and middleweight champion set to take on Winky Wright in a pivotal middleweight bout this Saturday night in Las Vegas.
Ht: 5-10 Wt: 160
Born On: January 10, 1973 In: Cupey Alto, Puerto Rico
Childhood Heroes: “Ray Leonard. I like his style, the way he boxed, his movement. I met him at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas for the Yori Boy Campas fight. He told me, after him, the best welterweight he has seen in his life, is me. Coming from Sugar Ray Leonard, that was great. I shake his hand [smiles].”
Hobbies/Interests: “Raising cocks (fighting roosters), horses, horseback riding and cars.”
Nicknames: Tito, El Cara Nene (means baby face.)
Childhood Dream: “Growing up, everybody told me I had the ability to be champion. I didn’t think too much of boxing in the beginning. Then, as I began winning all my fights, I began thinking I can become champion someday. It became my goal in life.”
Favorite Meal: “Rice, beans and chicken with oranges.”
Favorite Breakfast Cereal: “Corn Flakes.”
Favorite Ice Cream Flavor: “Vanilla.”
Early Boxing Memory: “The first time I fought a Cuba (Alexander Mesa) when I was 15. He was three years older, that’s the thing I remember clearly. I fought him in San Juan. He was a very tough fighter, he could move very fast. I won it by a decision. I always had confidence in myself, but that fight helped. Mesa and his people said I was very strong and a very capable boxer and that I had potential to become world champion.”
Favorite Movies: “Any cowboy movies or war movies.”
Musical Tastes: “Salsa, merengue, Little Grupo Mania.”
First Job: “I never worked except for helping my father in his business of building swimming pools.”
First Car: “1985 Ford Mustang.”
Pre-Fight Feeling: “Always come to win. Feel relaxed. Always have confidence in myself. Looking forward to getting in the ring. Go to the ring and give my best performance.”
Greatest Sports Moment: “I think it’s just been achieving my goal to be world champion (KO 2 Maurice Blocker in 1993 to win the IBF Welterweight title). All the hard work I’d done was crowned with the victory.”
Most Painful Moment: “When I have my first defeat (TKO 12 vs. Bernard Hopkins in 2001 Middleweight title unification fight in New York).”
Worst Injury: “None. Never badly injured or anything.”
Favorite Boxers To Watch: “Long time ago – Sugar Ray Leonard. And in the present – Arturo Gatti. For the way he fights.”
Favorite Fights: “Leonard vs Hearns, Hagler, Duran and Kalule. All of Gatti’s fights.”
Interesting Fact: “I came from a poor family with very poor facilities and I reached the peak.”
People Qualities Most Admired: “No matter what happens to me, I admire people who are with me in the best of times and worst times.”
Funny Boxing Memory: “One of the funniest things was when the press conference in Las Vegas a couple of years ago, I didn’t expect Don King to…he came to the press conference and composed a song for me. And he sung the song…”(Tito sings) Tito you’re my shining star, please don’t go away!”
On Boxing Winky Wright: “It’s going to be a tough fight. I know that Winky is a very great fighter. I want to remind him he never fought Tito Trinidad before. On May 14th, the same thing that happened to the rest of my opponents…You will be the next opponent. I’m gonna win. May 14th is going to be another great victory for Tito Trinidad. He’s going to be the number seven southpaw I’ve taken care of. I know how and where to hit a southpaw fighter.”
©2012 BoxingInsider LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed with out written permission.
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Pacquiao, Ricky Hatton, 50 Cent, and more….
- The King of the Borough: Malignaggi Gives Judah a Boxing Clinic
- HBO Results: Kirkland and Tapia Steal Show, Rigondeaux Wins a Bore
- Floyd Mayweather’s TMT Crew Takes Care of Business on ShoBox
- HBO Boxing Preview: Rigondeaux vs. Agbeko, Tapia vs. Kirkland, Macklin vs. Russ
- David Price Drops British and Commonwealth Titles; Dereck Chisora Calls Out Deontay Wilder
- Boxing Insider Notebook: Chisora, Barker vs. Sturm, Pacquiao, Mansour, and more…
- Monte Barrett Rips David Tua’s Promoters: “They Stole From Him, Destroyed His Career!”
- WBC Champ Vitali Klitschko Reported Turning Back Huge Ukrainian Mob
- Dana White Returns To Boxing With New Reality TV Show “The Fighters”
- Must We Disdain Excitement & Rally to Snore-Mongering Guillermo Rigondeaux?
- WBC Should Sanction an Interim Champion; Vitali Klitschko has Bigger Fights Ahead
- Boxing’s Biggest Battle: HBO vs Showtime
- Adrien Broner and the Anatomy of Creating a Superstar
- Still Think Paulie Malignaggi Is An Old Man?
- Sticking Guillermo Rigondeaux in Main Event Is like Selling Tickets to Smallpox
- Jackie Kallen: Go Paulie (Malignaggi) Go!
- Paulie Malignaggi vs. Zab Judah fight in the Battle for Brooklyn Tonight
- ‘Brooklyn in the House’: Zab Judah vs. Paul Malignaggi
- Guillermo Rigondeaux Just Needs To Be Himself